Wednesday, February 18, 2009

23 Cars + 14 Dogs = "Smelly Poop" not "Contentment"



I hate reading about people who think they have all their stuff together and then preach to you on  a Sunday that they have found the magic keys to faith and happiness. But, if you were to do a secret MTV cribs episode on them, would their house be in order? Would they feel embarrassed that you walked in on them un-announced while they are yelling at their kids, or if you secretly placed a camera on their dashboard while they are driving, would they yell at people on the way to church on a Sunday morning. 

The other day I was walking out of the bathroom and my 6 year old son Zane, said "Dad, turn on the fan, YOUR POOP STINKS" I laughed for a moment, and did everyone a favor and closed the door and turned on the fan. Later that night I sat down to do my devotions and I came to a passage of scripture on "Contentment" Unfortunately, sometimes we all have poop that stinks. Mine came to pass when I read, Philippians 4:10 Paul is writing a thank you letter to the Philippines for the gifts that they blessed him with. He go's on to say in verse 11-12 that he is quite content with living on barely anything. That he is happy with how much or how little he has. 
WHAT? wait a minute Paul! You have no idea what I (We) live in every day. I have 3 boys that need to eat food like  Frodo Bagans and his band of Hobbits that eat 1st and 2nd breakfasts and elevensees. My kids eat like horses. I need to provide! Could Paul really understand what we need on a day to day basis.
 I am not walking to work, I need a car! I am not living in a tent, I need a house!
 
As I was meditating on this passage, I thought of all the things in life, that I bought or adopted because I felt un-content in life. I started with my weakness with Dogs. Those who know me, know that I have a soft spot for dogs. I liked to cruise the local animal shelters and rescue the ones that were a few days from losing their lives. We kept some, but found them all a good home. I have been made fun of over the years and no I can make fun of myself. 

1. "Spike" our 1st dog. Mini Doxie. Found him a home when we had our first boy
2. Pepper some mix breed Found him a good Home
3. Mini Pinsher Found him a good home
4. The White Dog   (Chewed my moms coffee table, it had to go) Found a good home though!
5. Yellow Lab "Tank"   The BEST DOG EVER! but found him a good home
6. Black Lab "Sadie"     The DUMBEST DOG EVER! 
7. Black Lab Found good home
8. Boxer Found good home
9. Beagle Found good home
10. dashound Found good home
11. Mix lab Found good home
12. Great Pyrennes "Sadie"         She died
13. Great Pyrennes   Found good Home
14. Cavalier King Charles "Alica Bell"      Found good Home

Cars:
1. 1980 Deisel Mercedes Crap! Nothin like pulling into Highschool in that Piece!
2. 1996 Mazda 626 Thanks mom for your car
3. 1986 Firebird Sexy! thats how I met my wife.
4. 1984 Honda Civic good car
5. 1986 BMW 528 PIMP! huge fix it bill though
6. 1995 Dodge Neon I tried making this car look cool, nothing worked
7. 1998 VW Golf transmission problem
8. 1999 Dodge 1500 needed to move the dogs around lol
9. 1967 Chevy pick up man, I loved fixing this car. 3 on the tree.....
10. 2001 Ford Windstar Hard to look cool in a mini van, YOUTH VAN
11. 2004 Jeep Liberty traded it in because I realized I had 3 boys 
12. 1986 Datsun Paid $100 for it. Gave it to a youth kid. Sorry Mike
13. 1996 Mazda 626 Sold it to a youth kid, Sorry Cody
14. 2001 Ford Expedition Smart buy, but I sold it anyway. I am stupid
15. 1996 Sea Ray Boat I know its not a car, but it sank in the river anyway
16. 1995 Jeep Wrangler LOVED THIS VEHICLE
17. 2000 Volvo S6 Sold it to my mother in law. hahaha. Sorry!
18. 1999 Audi A6 Sweet car but traded it for 
19. 2001 LIFTED Chevy Man I miss this truck
20. 1999 Volvo wagon Amanda hit a bump, bye bye Axel. Ouch to the Wallet
21. 1999 Land Rover DUMB
22. 2007 Tahoe Love it, but not attached
23. 1995 Honda Civic Hatchback not much to look at, but saved in the gas department

Phil 4:12 "I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation." Vs. 19 " And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus."

What was Pauls Secret? "Contenment! 

When I am bored in my life, I always seem to look at what comforts me, Dogs and Cars. Why am I allowing myself to get bored. I think it is because I am not doing what God has called me to do. To go out and reach the lost! I am a Pastor with faults, and looking back on the dogs and vehicles, I am embarrassed to say it to "you" the public. But, I say this in hopes of two things. 
1. That you realized that pastors struggle as well, and 
2. maybe you feel bored in your walk  sometimes. 

Is it safe to say, that contentment can only be found when one is about his fathers buisness? 

It is time to be content in the Lord, but not content with sitting back and doing nothing about it. Paul travelled and he was blessed because he was of his fathers business. Paul went out to reach the lost. He was a person that lived in the blessings of the Lord, because he never had time to sit back and allow himself to become bored. How can we be bored when we do what we have been created to do. 

Lord forgive me for my stinky past and grant me the grace to not fall back into it. Help me to live in my calling and fulfill your purposes. 

3 comments:

  1. James i loved this note! thanks for the reminder. lately I have been struggling with contentment in my job, because my boss is not someone i agree with most of the time. and, for some reason his existence totally gets on my nerves on a daily basis. this was making me very unhappy until I realized that contentment comes from working unto the Lord, not unto man, and in doing my very best, regardless of others. since I realized that I have been able to get through the work day and actually feel a little fulfilled and even happy.
    On the note of cars: i do want a new car! I am so sick of the truck, even though it runs and i don't have payments on it. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, that was me, jessica muto (cornish)

    ReplyDelete
  3. James:

    Thanks for your BLOG! I laughed and learned all at the same time. Keep letting God use you ...HE has great plans for you. Love you.
    Auntie.F.

    ReplyDelete