Friday, July 17, 2009

The Christian Club



The Christian Club. That has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? A place where a bunch of Christians can get together and share about their faith in a safe environment. Schools, churches, college campuses and work places, wherever we can get a group of people together we can call it a club. 

Are these clubs open or closed? Is it designed for only Christians or can non believers come too. 

Example: 

I was asked to speak at a christian club at a high school in the desert valley. Before it started I sat outside and greeted people that were walking by and or coming into the club. As I was introducing myself to people I asked several students walking by if they were coming into the club. They went on to say, "I am not a christian" I thought to myself that OK this might be how one person feels but I am sure she doesn't speak for the majority. So, I asked a few more students. They gave me the same response. "I am not a christian"  At his point my heart was saddened. I asked some of the students who were in charge of christian club,  "is there anyone that stands outside and invites people in? They went on to say no, if they are not a christian they cant come in." I thought to myself this cant surely be happening. But, it was a reality for this specific club. 

As I reflected on how backwards from Christianity and may I add the bibles commands. I thought to myself that there are so many other clubs that are exclusive as this particular christian club. The church!

Growing up in the church for me was like being a part of a secluded club. A club that the password to get into this club was "Christian" If you were a christian you were welcomed into the club (the church) If you were not, like a lot of my friends, you just wouldn't show up. Being in a youth group of 30 students in a church the size of 3000 was fun for me, because I called myself a christian, but for those they may want to come check it out and possibly be a part of the group, you would need to use the secret password or else you would be lost and never come back.

Is this what God wanted to happen to his people? pardon my language but this pisses me off. 

As I was speaking to that christian club, I couldn't help but be royally mad and upset at how a group of professed Christians can sit in a disclosed room and swap christian stories about how they witnessed to someone that month and have someone pat them on the back and yet outside those shallow walls was a huge Harvest waiting to be picked for the harvester. Needless to say once I was done sharing about witnessing, I left and turned down all other speaking engagements at the particular club. 

When I look at myself in the mirror I have to tell myself that I am a Pharisee. I was and am at times everything that Jesus could not stand. If the name Christian is to be like Christ then why the heck would I exclude everyone that Christ would try to reach and go after.

I think that if the church in America is not careful we will become such a stuffy room filled with people who play the typical church game of "Who can hide their sin the best" and missed out on what God has asked us to do. "GO" He gave us a command with one word. "GO" 

I do not want to be a part of a christian club, and I am sure I speak for millions of others, I want to be a part of a movement of people who call themselves Christians, to go out and be Christians to ALL we come in contact with.

the 1980's church I grew up with is dying a fast paced death. I do not want to be another deadly statistic. I want to be a new statistic of authentic followers of Jesus striving to become a true meaning of what the word "Christian" started out to be. I want to be like Christ........So father, send me and I will go.........

No comments:

Post a Comment