Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Commitment

Why is it so hard to stay committed to something. New Years resolutions are the worst. We have all done it. We have all made promises to commit to the fitness regiment, the eating right. the not smoking weed for a year, the staying abstinent for as long as you can. Sometimes it reminds me of several "Seinfeld" episodes when they make a commitment and see who can stay committed the longest. The reasons why I laugh is because we all have commitment issues. Making promises to our spouses, or making promises to our kids. We all fall short of these things.

But what about our commitments to God. Do we struggle with it? Do we have a hard time keeping our promises to him? I will read my bible everyday, I will make sure I pray for someone this week, I will stay away from sin, etc. I have the hardest time keeping promises sometimes and I want to make sure I learn to keep more then forget. I want to make sure that I hold true to my commitment in Christ so that I do not give the enemy any chance to through me off track.

One Haitian pastor illustrated the need for total commitment to Christ with this parable:

A certain man wanted to sell his house for $2,000.00. Another man wanted very badly to buy it, but because he was poor, he couldn't afford the full price. After much bargaining, the owner agreed to sell the house for half the original price with just one stipulation: he would retain ownership of one small nail protruding from just over the door.
After several years. the original owner wanted the house back, but the new owner was unwilling to sell. So first the owner went out, found a carcass of a dead dog, and hung it from the nail he still owned. Soon the house became unlivable, and the family was forced to sell the house to the owner of the nail.

The Haitian pastor's conclusion: "If we leave the Devil with even one small peg in our life, he will return to hang his rotting garbage on it, making it unfit for Christ's habitation."

I want to commit myself to Jesus and do everything in my power to keep that commitment, no matter how hard it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment